Applications for the 2019 YAP will be available Nov. 3 and close on Jan. 4, 2019, and are accepted only through YAP Tracker. Please do not submit materials via email. Only complete applications will be granted an audition appointment. ALL applicants who request it will be given written feedback from the panel.
The application can be found HERE.
You do not need to be a paying subscriber to YAP Tracker to submit the application form, although you will need an account (guest accounts are available; see the website for details).
We look forward to meeting you (or in many cases seeing you again). In approximately 250 auditions annually in New York City, we’re happy to discover someone new and exciting, or to hear how much progress someone we know has made in the last year. We want you to be great, because that makes our jobs that much easier! We hope that you will also consider your audition for dell’Arte Opera Ensemble an opportunity to practice the craft of auditioning.
- We will make an effort to hear ALL first-time applicants in the first round of auditions; we reserve the right not to hear a previous applicant (application fee returned via US Mail). No application fee refunds in any other case.
- Preliminary Auditions will be held on January 12, 13, 18, 19, and 20, 2019 with callbacks on February 2 and 3. ALL communication regarding auditions should be via email sent to email@example.com; no phone calls please.
- Please indicate on your application if you are not available for February call-backs.
Click HERE for the 2019 Season Roles breakdown. The five principal roles for Princess Maleine have been cast, in order for the creative team to workshop the commissioned material with them.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR AUDITION
- You do not need to bring the same repertoire you listed on your application, nor are you required to provide us with a repertoire sheet.
- Your arias should represent you at your best. Please do not feel obligated to present repertoire from the operas being presented.
- Please bring at least one selection in Italian and at least one other selection in another language. (Art songs are acceptable options for applicants auditioning for placement in the ensemble/chorus.)
- In general, we allow you to pick your first selection. In rare instances, the panel may ask for a different choice. Unless the piece is very long, you will be allowed to complete your first selection and you may be invited to sing another aria or part of an aria. Please choose a first selection that reflects the center of your vocal category, not a ‘stretch’ piece. For instance, do not offer either of the Queen of the Night arias unless you are a dramatic coloratura.
- Out-of-town applicants who are being seriously considered for a principal role may be given the opportunity to sing additional material, especially if they are not available for call-backs.
If we need to hear you a second time, you will be notified as soon as possible, ideally at least a week prior to a call-back appointment.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Solid, reliable vocal technique
- Accurate, expressive diction
- Ability to convey the musical and textual structure and syntax of a piece
- Informed, intelligent, clear dramatic choices (specificity of intent, gesture, focus, physicality)
- Ability to take direction
- A balanced approach to your craft!
For frequently asked questions, please visit our FAQ page! If you have read all of the materials on this site and still have questions, please direct them to “firstname.lastname@example.org”